DIY Mason Jar Butterfly Terrarium

Last week I blogged about a handmade gift exchange that I attended and showcased all the items that my friends brought. Today I’m sharing the gift that I brought! I love making seasonal home decor items.  It’s so fun to bring out special handmade items with the changing of each season and holiday.
I made a simple butterfly terrarium in a mason jar. This craft is less than $5 to make, only requires 4 materials and can be made in 5 easy steps!

Step 1 // Cut your 3″ foam ball in half.
Step 2 // Cut a small piece of your sheet moss to the size of your foam ball.
Step 3 // Hot glue the moss all around the ball to conform to the ball and then hot glue the ball half to the mason jar lid.
Step 4 // Stick in your butterflies to the moss ball. My butterflies came attached to wire. I just pushed the wire right into the foam ball.

Step 5 // Stick your foam ball with butterflies into the jar and tighten the lid! It’s that easy!!
I added these free printable tags to my terrariums to handout at the gift exchange.
To see past 6th Street DIY projects check out this Pinterest board

13 Responses to DIY Mason Jar Butterfly Terrarium

1. Alison Royer Tuesday, April 2, 2013 at 11:28 am #

Really cute!! This would be a great birthday party idea.

2. Jenny @ Simcoe Street Tuesday, April 2, 2013 at 11:33 am #

These are super cute! Love them!

Jenny

3. Sandra Carson Tuesday, April 2, 2013 at 11:36 am #

Love those cute feather butterflies..:)
    kiddicare

4. Kelsey Foster Tuesday, April 2, 2013 at 12:21 pm #

Those are adorable! And totally my level of DIY too–we're throwing my sister a bridal shower next month and these might be the perfect gift!

5. Emmie {Blue11} Tuesday, April 2, 2013 at 1:52 pm #

Those are so cute! I think the end result is much more expensive looking that what it actually cost to make. Thanks for sharing!

Emmie
    Blue11interiors.blogspot.com

6. Julia Konya Tuesday, April 2, 2013 at 3:23 pm #

Such a cute idea!

7. sarah m. dorsey Tuesday, April 2, 2013 at 4:12 pm #

Adorable! Such a great (and fast!) project! I agree with Alison that they would be perfect for a birthday party!!

8. Brittany Liljeqvist Tuesday, April 2, 2013 at 4:57 pm #

How adorable!! Perfect for springtime 🙂
    -Brittany

9. Abby @ Just a Girl and Her Blog Tuesday, April 2, 2013 at 5:59 pm #

So beautiful! The butterflies will add a great pop of color in a space! Cute idea!

~Abby =)

10. Jennifer @ Delightfully Noted Tuesday, April 2, 2013 at 8:03 pm #

Really nice! I have had butterflies similiar to that sitting around in my craft stash forever not knowing what to do with them. Thanks for the inspiration!

11. Emily Hagedorn Tuesday, April 2, 2013 at 10:45 pm #

This is super cute! I'll definitely have to try it.

And the best part is that you don't have to worry about maintaining the terrarium. It will last forever!

Emily
    The Em Dash

12. Joi Wednesday, April 3, 2013 at 5:30 pm #

These are great, K!

13. Madelene Swinny Thursday, April 18, 2013 at 5:22 am #

These are lovely. I love your style. Thanks so much for sharing. I'm excited to make one.

HankenImports.com