DIY Octopus Art

UPDATE: Please refer to the updated tutorial here.
If you follow me on instgram (@kirstenkrason) you saw that Erin (@erin.m.morgan) and I recently installed a nautical playroom. It looks so cute and I can’t wait to share all the pictures with all of you! Just like any project we had a budget to work with so we wanted to incorporate some DIY ideas.  Today I’m going to share with you how we took a shower curtain and turned it into art!
A few years ago I bought this shower curtain for Jett’s Bathroom.
I’ve always loved it. The graphic is so amazing that it always seemed to me like there must be a way to turn it into art!
When Erin and I started this nautical playroom design we decided to give it a try!
Erin is much handier than me so she figured out how to put the art together once we got out to the install. Here are her instructions!
The shower curtain was 72×72″ so I wanted to leave 2″ on every side
to have room to wrap it over the wood. I went to Home Depot and got 2
2″x1″x70″ for the top and the bottom of the frame then I got 4 2″x1″x68″
for the sides of the frame and the middle supports. Home Depot cut the wood to the desired length for free!
For the frame assembly
I laid all the wood out with the 1″ side facing up, and screwed each
end of the side pieces and the middle pieces  into the top and bottom of
the frame.
I then ironed the shower curtain and laid it over
the top of the frame.
 I nailed in the top first and then stretched it
to where I wanted it on the bottom and nailed in the bottom. Then nailed
in the sides last.
I nailed about every 6-8″. The nailing gave it a
more industrial look instead of a staple gun which could get sloppy. It
was super easy with 2 people, it took us about an hour to make it and
hang it!

Thanks Erin for that easy explanation!After they made the piece Erin and Lindsey just hung it up on the wall with a few nails.

It is seriously such a statement in the room!

, ,

55 Responses to DIY Octopus Art

1. Caroline Arellano Damasco Wednesday, May 7, 2014 at 1:54 pm #

So creative! Great statement piece!

2. Mrs. Limestone Wednesday, May 7, 2014 at 2:03 pm #

You know how much I love the octopus so of course I adore this project. Great idea!

3. Julia Wednesday, May 7, 2014 at 2:08 pm #

What a brilliant idea!

4. Samantha Hawes Wednesday, May 7, 2014 at 2:14 pm #

Amazing!! What a great idea – this would look amazing using the elephant & floral shower curtain from anthro. You two are the best design duo!!

5. theanatomyofdesign.com Wednesday, May 7, 2014 at 2:49 pm #

love it! it looks amazing. great idea

6. A Feteful Life Wednesday, May 7, 2014 at 3:19 pm #

That is an insanely awesome idea! What a great way to make big art!

7. Unknown Wednesday, May 7, 2014 at 4:51 pm #

We did the same thing with a marimekko fabric shower curtain (because it was so much cheaper than the tuuli trees fabric) a couple years ago and I love it. Big impact low cost and if the kids get it dirty it wipes up easily lol. Love the octopus!

8. Christina Wednesday, May 7, 2014 at 4:53 pm #

This is amazing! I am dreaming up where to do this in my house!

9. Kathleen Wednesday, May 7, 2014 at 4:56 pm #

So fun! I'm now on the hunt for a cool shower curtain to go in my son's room! You girls are so creative :)

10. Heather Peterson Wednesday, May 7, 2014 at 5:07 pm #

So smart–love this!

11. jamie @ [kreyv] Wednesday, May 7, 2014 at 7:22 pm #

I love this so much!

12. Maria Johns Wednesday, May 7, 2014 at 8:18 pm #

This is so genius! this opens up a whole new world: shower curtain art!

13. Julia Konya Wednesday, May 7, 2014 at 11:54 pm #

I've been wanting to do that! Not kidding at all! And I love it!

14. Rebecca and Lori Thursday, May 8, 2014 at 1:15 am #

That looks amazing! I want to go shopping for shower curtains now!
    Lori

15. Reni Thursday, May 8, 2014 at 5:59 am #

Oh sweet goodness! This is pure brilliance.

thelittleliongirl.com

16. Shelley | Crazy Wonderful Thursday, May 8, 2014 at 12:59 pm #

Oh my gosh, this is so stinking awesome!!! MEGA impact. I've gotta find a place for this idea!

17. Julia | Pawleys Island Posh Friday, May 9, 2014 at 11:58 am #

This is so awesome! I just love this idea! Wish the link the shower curtain worked :(

18. Wendy Friday, May 9, 2014 at 7:48 pm #

I love this idea. What a great graphic way to eat up a large wall!

19. Caitlin ThePicketFenceProjects Saturday, May 10, 2014 at 12:00 pm #

This is such an awesome idea! I'm obsessed!

20. najma love Saturday, May 10, 2014 at 1:19 pm #

The Besy Hyip program in Forex Business and Make Money Online with Just Invest some Money into your Business and Make Perfect Life time Earnings with this Business.
    Join Now for Make Perfect Business and Earn Money online from home.
    HotFxEarnings.com

21. SHERRY HART Saturday, May 10, 2014 at 5:20 pm #

Awesome idea! Such a focal point!

22. Tracy Laverty Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 1:56 am #

Okay, this looks so amazing! What a statement piece. Great job!

23. Mindy Schaper Monday, May 12, 2014 at 4:10 am #

Came here through Sarah M Dorsey- I love it. Looks very doable but adds so much inexpensively!

24. Monika Jones Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 12:26 pm #

What a wonderful idea! This octopus art turned out so cute! Looove it!

Carpet Cleaning Hammersmith

25. Diane Liviingston Sunday, August 10, 2014 at 1:21 am #

Fantastic idea, I do have to say. I have a huge wall above my tv that goes to the second level, that would have been fine spot to do something like that. Ocean, sea side is my theme.

26. Jessica Simmons Tuesday, August 19, 2014 at 7:00 pm #

I love it!! I'll have to give it a try!

27. Matthaeus Saturday, August 23, 2014 at 8:56 pm #

It looks so cute and I can't wait to share all the pictures with all of you! … framedwallart.blogspot.com

28. Lorenz Sunday, August 24, 2014 at 6:27 pm #

29. Stefan Monday, August 25, 2014 at 5:27 pm #

Erin is much handier than me so she figured out how to put the art … 2largewallart.blogspot.com

30. Sandra Meinlilapark Monday, October 27, 2014 at 9:30 am #

Best DIY decoration idea ever!! Just LOVE it! Thank you so much.

Hugs
    Sandra

31. Mika Monday, December 22, 2014 at 2:34 am #

What is this paint color?

32. Daisy Ratansa Wednesday, April 1, 2015 at 5:26 pm #

wow cool ..
    wall art very great and amazing …
    you are great :)

33. Claudia McBain Monday, April 13, 2015 at 9:28 pm #

great idea

34. TheLovelySummer Blog Thursday, April 23, 2015 at 10:10 pm #

Freaking brilliant!!!

35. Stanley Workman Wednesday, May 6, 2015 at 5:43 pm #

My girlfriend is a natural blue head.
    A virgin, with a pierced labia.
    Not so much a dog walker, as a member of their pack.
    Pop rock & infinity pools.
    Goose stepping backwards; rewinding history's odometer.
    Selling it as new.

-Marc Breed
    An Ohio Poet Laureate candidate

36. Debbie T Saturday, June 20, 2015 at 10:26 pm #

Oh My Goodness!!!! This is the most amazing idea/project I've ever seen. I have a massive wall with windows on both sides. With cathedral ceilings, everything I've tried gets lost. You are a God send. I can't thank you enough.

37. Pat Hollingsworth Tuesday, August 4, 2015 at 7:12 pm #

T hanks so much. I have a piece of fabric that is 57 by 47. It’s a beautiful piece if art and I want to frame it. I knew what I wanted but could find how until I ran across your site. Again thank you so much…. Now all I have to do is convince my hubby that he wants to help me do it…….

38. Jwaher Wednesday, August 12, 2015 at 6:22 pm #

Wow😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍

39. Kendra Mc Sunday, August 23, 2015 at 6:23 pm #

How did you wrap the corners? Also, did you line the fabric up to the edge of the frame or did you wrap it all the way around the wood pieces and then nail?

• Kirsten Krason Monday, August 24, 2015 at 3:01 am #

So the corners are folded tight so there is no buldge in the corner. It almost looks envelope like on the corners. It is wrapped to the back part of the wood rods and fastened using a staple gun. We will actually be doing a more in depth tutorial soon on our blog :)

40. Rumi Tuesday, September 29, 2015 at 2:26 pm #

Where are you based ? Will you do it for me if I send you my fabric ?
    Thanks.

• Kirsten Krason Tuesday, September 29, 2015 at 9:42 pm #

It’s super easy. You can definitely do it yourself. :)

41. Ashley Bowman Thursday, October 8, 2015 at 11:07 am #

Have you tried using a tapestry from Society 6? They are less expensive but I am curious of the weight of the tapestry fabric vs. the weight of the shower curtain fabric.

• Kirsten Krason Thursday, October 8, 2015 at 4:22 pm #

We have only used the shower curtains from Society 6. Sorry!

• Suzy Sunday, February 7, 2016 at 11:03 am #

Hey Ashley! I just did a tapestry from Society 6 and I folded the tapestry around poster board for extra support before stapling/nailing it into the frame. So the tapestry would pull on the think cardboard instead of just on the nails/staples alone. I cut the poster board to be long stripes of one inch long.

42. Meredith Wednesday, December 30, 2015 at 6:22 pm #

Would this work with a polyester curtain?

• Kirsten Krason Thursday, December 31, 2015 at 10:45 am #

We’ve never tried it, but I don’t see why not :)

43. Alicia Chargualaf Sunday, January 17, 2016 at 10:24 am #

Great project!

44. Suzy Sunday, February 7, 2016 at 11:00 am #

You wrote that you nailed the top of the curtain and then the bottom and then did the sides last, but the pictures shows you nailing the sides before the bottom. Which one method works better? I’m doing a tapestry that doesn’t have a top or bottom (per say it’s a design, not a picture) so the exactness doesn’t matter.