DIY Gold Dipped Bowls

Last week Courtney, Danielle and I taught a class at Haven called High End DIY. Basically we shared our basic tips on making your DIY projects look high end and store bought instead of cheap and crafty. We each brought a DIY to share with our class. I decided to make these gold dipped nesting bowls.
I wanted to recreate the look of these similar bowls seen at Alice Lane
Here are the super easy steps to make these bowls yourself.
Step 1 // blow up two balloons to the size you want and then apply strips of paper with modge lodge to the balloon. This step takes the longest because you need to apply lots of layers to get the bowl to be thick enough. I just used white printer paper with a foam brush. After the paper has dried pop the balloon and you’ll be left with your bowl. I cut my edges down a bit so they were even.
Step 2 // I used light teal paint to paint the inside of the large bowl and the outside of the small bowl.  I actually added white to the paint to lighten it a bit more.
Step 3 // After the paint dries I added a thin layer of gold foil paint to the edges inside and out.
Step 4 // I then took white puffy paint along all the edges. This part you need you to be careful about. The paint kind drips down the side so go slowly. I even kinda pushed it back up after it had dried a bit. Then apply the gold paint to the dots once it’s dried.
You can nest them inside of each other or just have them side by side.
I also made a white bowl which I think is cute!
This project literally is so easy and cost less than $5 a piece!

10 Responses to DIY Gold Dipped Bowls

1. Cassie @ Primitive & Proper Wednesday, July 16, 2014 at 11:58 am #

these turned out so nicely! i love anything with a gold touch- it was SO great to meet you in person. you are just as sweet as i thought you would be, and i really enjoyed your class! thank you for sharing your talent and creativity with all of us! XOXO

2. Kristin@bliss-athome.com Wednesday, July 16, 2014 at 12:56 pm #

A great way to get the look for less. It was so great to meet you at Haven Kirsten 🙂 xo Kristin

3. Julia Konya Wednesday, July 16, 2014 at 4:07 pm #

I was ogling them at Haven because they are so gorgeous!

4. Jessica Wednesday, July 16, 2014 at 4:38 pm #

These bowls are so beautiful!

5. Caitlin @ Desert Domicile Wednesday, July 16, 2014 at 6:47 pm #

Gorgeous! I loved seeing these in your class and I'm so happy you posted the tutorial for them so I can make a set of my own 🙂

6. Courtney {a thoughtful place} Wednesday, July 16, 2014 at 8:45 pm #

Girl! I love these!!!! You did well, my friend. You did well.

7. Kristy @ I Design Love Thursday, July 17, 2014 at 12:51 am #

Such a cute idea!

8. Bethany DeVore Friday, July 18, 2014 at 7:43 pm #

They are so pretty! I was so happy to win them, but I gave them to my friend Emily because she loved them so much. Now, I can't wait to make some! It was so nice meeting you, thanks for sharing your talent with us!

• ElevenGables Tuesday, July 22, 2014 at 5:39 am #

Thank you, sweet Bethany! I cherish them! XXOO, Emily

9. ElevenGables Tuesday, July 22, 2014 at 5:41 am #

Kirsten, your darling bowls are a show stopper in my butler's pantry! On the blog today! xo, Emily