The Best Places to Buy Frames

A few times people have asked me where we like to buy frames.  We don’t really have one go-to place. We’ll shop for frames wherever we can find them.  Occasionally we’ll get art custom framed but that is pricey so when we can find a good frame for a good price we’ll use it!
I love Ikea’s Ribba frames. For the price they just can’t be beat.  I will say, you get what you pay for.  After lots of use my Ribba frames will sometimes start to separate on the corners. They are also made from fiberboard which makes them hard to paint if you wanted to change up the color.
I was able to paint the inside of Jett’s frames after lots of primer.
Pottery Barn frames are my favorite because the quality seems good and I love these size and finish options.  I love their 25 x 25 square frames because you can’t find this size many places.  Often we’ll have a custom mat made to fit inside the larger frame to make it feel like custom framed art. We did that in this project:
photo by Jylare Smith Photography
I also LOVE their champagne finish
You can get basic good frames at craft stores like Hobby Lobby or Michaels.  If we have a big gallery wall of matching frames we’ll look someplace like this.  We found these ones at Michaels for this project for $13 a piece.
photo by Jylare Smith Photography
I love the bright white mat.  These would also be easy to spray paint if you wanted to customize them a bit.
West Elm is also another favorite place to shop for unique frames. I love their gold leafed frames with a linen mat.  We used them in Brooke’s room
Another favorite place when we are just looking for a good quick white frame is Target! We love their frames and the prices are great.
What about you? Where do you like to buy frames?

10 Responses to The Best Places to Buy Frames

1. jennifer Thursday, March 19, 2015 at 1:48 pm #

Can you recommend a source that has affordable oversize frames that are good quality? (40in +) for large art work?

• Kirsten Krason Friday, March 20, 2015 at 1:26 am #

Ikea has big frames but I'm not sure about a 40" square. Sometimes you can find them at craft stores!

• theanatomyofdesign.com Monday, March 23, 2015 at 10:54 am #

I love using A.I. Friedman frames. they have 100s of frames, you can shop online, and they have several options for 40 in+. Emily Henderson recommended the source on her blog and I have used them several times since with great success! And, the frames are solid wood so they don't have the same problems as Ikea frames.

• Rebekah Friday, March 27, 2015 at 4:08 am #

Target too!

2. jamie @ [kreyv] Thursday, March 19, 2015 at 4:13 pm #

I agree with on Ikea–great look, but you get what you pay for. They are also a little tricky to hang, but I think I found a way to do a gallery with them! I also love the Ribba. You can't beat the price, and by the time they wear out, I am ready for something new anyway!

3. thehouseoffigs.com Thursday, March 19, 2015 at 7:25 pm #

In Texas I love to shop at Aaron Brothers… I don't know if they are everywhere, but they have great prices and often great sales on oversized frames and all sizes really!

4. Michele @ Moonfield Lane Friday, March 20, 2015 at 10:59 am #

We have Michael's Crafts around here and they have a large, thin black frame matted to a 11 x 14. I have a couple that I've spray painted gold. The narrow frame makes it look a little more high-end I think. I've also had many mats cuts for cheaper frames. The man at the frame store I go to has a bajillion whites to choose from so that's a great way to get a custom look, too.

Kristin, I loved yesterday's post! I've been thinking about your Atly course and I'm definitely going to take it. Can't wait!

5. CC Friday, March 20, 2015 at 11:13 am #

I'd love to see a post on choosing the right frame for a particular piece/style of artwork!

6. Elizabeth Kallembach Saturday, March 21, 2015 at 2:08 am #

I love looking at thrift stores for frames. I like the thin ones that have glass and you can take them apart (the ones with the screws). I then go to art.com and order a print that is smaller than the frame and get a custom mat made at Hobby Lobby for around $11. A custom art for a fraction of the price!!! For matching frames, I like the thin frames with the white mat from Walmart (the mat is like a 8×10 but the frame is 16×20).

7. kristine Sunday, March 22, 2015 at 1:34 pm #

Great post! I scored some frames at Pottery Barn Kids on major clearance…love them!