One Room Challenge – Week One -Planning

I am so excited to be participating in the One Room Challenge again! Over a year ago I made over my daughter Jane’s room and I just loved how it turned out!

Now that we are in our new house I have lot’s of spaces that need some extra help.  Narrowing down which room to do this time around was a little challenging. Ultimately I decided our front room would be a really fun before-and-after to showcase. Our home has a traditional layout which means there are two small rooms up front. These little rooms are always hard to decorate because you really need to decide what their purpose is. For me I knew I wanted one of them to be an office. The other room could be a nice formal Living Room but I just didn’t feel like it would get used that much.

screen-shot-2016-10-04-at-4-37-21-pm-1

One of the main downsides to my house is the small dining area off the Kitchen. We can only fit six at the max.  So we’ve decided to make this room our formal dining room. Right now it is functioning as our kid’s craft room. It actually gets a LOT of use as a craft room. What can I say? My kids are very crafty! So I want to make this space a dining/craft/homework room.

This is the room as it is now…

img_6915

img_6916

img_6917

Here is the list for the next six weeks:

• Install pencil trim, crown molding and chair rail
  • Paint the room white
  • Get a large dining table that can extend
  • Find awesome dining chairs
  • Possibly do two neutral head chairs
  • Get a great indoor/outdoor rug
  • Nix the boob light immediately and get a new chandelier!
  • Find a shelf to store tabletop pieces and craft supplies

Basically I need this room to wear lots of hats but because it is off of our front entry it also needs to be really pretty and not feel like a space that is taken over by kids and art supplies on a daily basis.

This is the vision I have for the space.
nh-dining-room-orc

And these are some of the spaces that are inspiring me:

monday3

image via Atlanta Homes Magazine

nathiya-18

image via SF Girl by the Bay

one-kings-lane_suzanne-kasler_kitchen-table

image via One Kings Lane

Please check in every Wednesday to see the progress of my Dining Room!  And don’t forget to check in with all my fellow design bloggers!

Jana Bek | Chris Loves Julia | Shannon Claire | Coco.Kelley | The Curated House
Driven by Decor | The English Room | From the Right Bank | Sherry Hart
Hi Sugarplum | Hunted Interior | The Makerista | Making it Lovely
Marcus Design | Pencil & Paper Co. | Megan Pflug | Place of My Taste | Suburban B’s
Waiting on Martha  Media Partner House Beautiful | TM by CIH

17 Responses to One Room Challenge – Week One -Planning

1. Holly Phillips Wednesday, October 5, 2016 at 6:42 am #

I look forward to seeing you work your magic in this light filled dining room-
    xoxo-
    Holly @ The English Room

2. Iris Nacole Wednesday, October 5, 2016 at 8:34 am #

This space is going to be amazing! I’m excited to follow along!

3. cassie {hi sugarplum} Wednesday, October 5, 2016 at 9:17 am #

Ohmygosh, YES!! So excited to watch this magic!!

4. Shannon Claire Wednesday, October 5, 2016 at 9:51 am #

SO excited to see what you do! The inspiration looks amazing.

5. Jana bek Wednesday, October 5, 2016 at 10:36 am #

I’m loving your vision & can’t wait to see it come together!

6. Kyla @HouseOfHipsters Wednesday, October 5, 2016 at 10:49 am #

All I can say is wow! Always a fan of your style and can’t wait to see what you come up with for this fall’s ORC!

7. FROM THE RIGHT BANK Wednesday, October 5, 2016 at 11:27 am #

It’s going to be fantastic. I love all of the inspiration images. Looking forward to having this fun with you!

8. Tricia @ Suburban B's Wednesday, October 5, 2016 at 2:53 pm #

This is going to be so good – I love everything you have planned for this space! I can’t wait to see it all come together!

9. Gwen, The Makerista Wednesday, October 5, 2016 at 3:38 pm #

Those dining chairs are insane! Can’t wait to see this come together…

10. Nancy (Marcus Design) Wednesday, October 5, 2016 at 8:21 pm #

I totally see your vision, it is going to be GORGeous!!! Happy to be playing along side you! x

11. Oksana | FOXYOXIE.com Thursday, October 6, 2016 at 6:51 am #

So excited to be joining such great talent as a guest participant and to follow everyone’s transformations! I don’t know how I’ll get anything done today – all I want to do is read through everyone’s ORC!! We’re in the middle of renovating a 1930 bungalow that was previously abandoned for 20 years, so essentially I’m renovating all the rooms simultaneously, but for sanity’s sake only documenting the living room for the ORC.

Cannot wait to see what you do!!! Your work has always been an inspiration. XO

12. Natalie Thursday, October 6, 2016 at 3:09 pm #

Can’t wait! It’s going to be so good! Loving that dash and Albert rug!

13. Calling it Home Thursday, October 6, 2016 at 9:49 pm #

Love how you are doing dual duty in a dining room. So practical. Your plan is lovely and I can’t wait to see it come together.

14. sherry hart Friday, October 7, 2016 at 5:10 am #

Love that you are making that room so purposeful…..my DR is a ghost town:) Yay for the black and white rug!

15. Nikki Green Wednesday, October 12, 2016 at 1:49 pm #

So nice to find someone else in almost the EXACT same situation as I… moved a year ago and having to prioritize which spaces get tackled when. I also love that you are doing a “gorgeously functional” multi-use space since that’s what most of us use and need in “real” life. 😉
    I will definitely be following along to see your progress.

16. Rosanna Bassford of EggshellHome.com Thursday, October 13, 2016 at 6:22 pm #

Love your plan and your inspiration photos! Looking forward to following along!

17. Megan Opel Interiors Thursday, October 20, 2016 at 8:52 pm #

Eek I love the concept for this room! Been following you for many years and I love seeing how your style had evolved. Can’t wait to see!