Design Tip: Mixing Pillow Patterns

Adding new pillows to a space can refresh your space with out having to empty your wallet. The key is to make sure your pillows coordinate well together. We receive a lot of questions from our readers about how to successfully mix and match pillow patterns. Read on to find out our insight.

Original Post Links

Photography: Becky Kimball

First you must remember to start with a solid. Either having an actual solid to break up the pattern or have a small pattern that gives the same effect as a solid color.  A fun way to add a solid is through a textured pillow, like a faux fur.

Original Post Links

Photography: Becky Kimball

Next in order to make your pillows look cohesive instead of chaotic make sure you are choosing pillows near the same color family.

Original Post Links

Photography: Lindsey Orton

The key to mixing patterns is by the scale. A bold pattern paired with a simple pattern will not compete against each other, instead they will compliment each other.

Original Post Links

Photography: Becky Kimball

Sometimes pillow sizes can be tricky. So here are our tips on what sizes look best.

Pillow sizes for sofa: (2) 24×24 + (2) 20×20 + (1) Lumbar

Loveseat: (2) 20×20 + (1) Lumbar

Original Post Links

Photography: Kate Osborne

Pillow sizes for a bed: (2) Euros + (2) 20×20 + (1) Lumbar

Or

(3) 24×24 + (2) 20×20 + (1) Lumbar

Original Post Links

Photography: Jylare Smith

Remember that pillows can easily be updated and switched around through out your home. So have fun with your pillows!

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12

This post contains affiliate links

, , , , , , ,

8 Responses to Design Tip: Mixing Pillow Patterns

1. Jessica Monday, January 30, 2017 at 8:31 am #

I was just thinking about this yesterday! It’s like you read my mind

Thanks for the help

2. Courtney Monday, January 30, 2017 at 12:03 pm #

What would you suggest for a large sectional?

• Kirsten Krason Wednesday, February 1, 2017 at 10:36 am #

We recommend (3) 24x24s and (3)20x20s and (1) Lumbar. So one 24×24 and one 20×20 in each corner of the sofa and the lumbar in the middle corner.

3. Mary Wednesday, February 1, 2017 at 5:36 pm #

My family thinks my pillows just get in the way & they always end up on the floor. I’m ready to replace my sofa so what style looks best with just one long lumbar pillow?

4. Yvette Wright Friday, February 3, 2017 at 4:02 am #

I love mixing pillow patterns, it’s one of my favorite passtimes when decorating!

5. Advaitaahomesale Sunday, February 5, 2017 at 11:24 pm #

Pillow patterns which is really admirable tips for the decoration of the bed and sofa. Thanks for these impressive details and creative planning. Budget house in coimbatore | villas in coimbatore

6. login tutorials Sunday, February 12, 2017 at 7:24 pm #

I love this and I want to make them too, what a wonderful gift with lots of love your create when you make them.

7. Pastile potenta Sunday, February 19, 2017 at 2:39 pm #